It's the day of the Kentucky Derby, and this post is for my preppy ladies. This is the day when oversized hats, pastels, colorfully-printed dresses, and Jack Rogers sandals come out to play. You can go one-stop-shopping for these items so easily, and I've got the lowdown on where to go, what to buy and how to sport it. It's time to get super prepped out.
Jack Rogers sandals are the only way to go. They're preppy, they're perfect for spring and summer, and JR is a 100% American brand. I have a pair with metallic silver straps and I absolutely love them. Coming from personal experience, they look great with a Lilly dress or shorts and same with anything from VV. Jack Rogers also come in wedges if you're one of those who doesn't like to wear flats. I love wedges myself, but there's a certain charm of wearing Jack Rogers sandals that I love about them. They're fun, whimsical and I they're most definitely a style staple for any woman who wants to label herself as preppy. Have I made my case? Okay so now the outfit is complete. Dress or shorts/skirt and top and shoes. Now it's time to top it off with a Kentucky Derby staple -- a hat! I won't lie I was in J.Crew the other day trying on hats as if I had a horse in the race. Southern Living Magazine says [about hats], "Whether you’re in the infield or a box in Millionaire’s Row, hats are a must at the Derby. They can be simple or grandiose, custom-made or off the rack, just make sure to have one perched atop your head." Without a hat, you'll be the equivalent to underdressed at a black tie affair. I'm sure Vineyard Vines and Lilly have hats available in stores so you can do one stop shopping. But if not, like I mentioned, J.Crew was several great options for only about $34.50, if I remember correctly. If you buy a plain hat, you can wear it all summer so that would be a good move on your part! So with all of these tips, I hope I was a help in looking for your Kentucky Derby outfit. Whether you're going to a party at your country club or a friend's house, the actual Derby or just dressing up to watch from home, I hope you look fabulous. Have a wonderfully preppy day.
These Lilly Pulitzer Spring 2013 collection dresses are a good start. They're the epitome of a preppy, Southern charm-inspired style. Some are solid pastels, and some are a mixture of bright and pastel patterns with a lot going on. Either way, both are Derby appropriate. Like I said, Lilly is the queen of prep, so anything with a Lilly tag works out. If you're not feeling a dress, Lilly has some adorable, colored shorts and skirts to offer, too. Another brand perfect for the Kentucky Derby is Vineyard Vines. It's actually the official tie maker of the Derby, so pick up a tie or bow tie for your man, and he'll be ready to go. VV has some great printed dresses and shorts to consider, as well. As a Massachusetts girl, I love the fact that it was inspired by Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket style -- both islands are amazing places to vacation and I have great family memories of the two. VV offers the same preppy style as Lilly, but the patterns are more subtle, which some of you may prefer. Once you've got your outfit, whether it be Lilly, Vineyard Vines, or something else, it's time to move onto shoes.
Jack Rogers sandals are the only way to go. They're preppy, they're perfect for spring and summer, and JR is a 100% American brand. I have a pair with metallic silver straps and I absolutely love them. Coming from personal experience, they look great with a Lilly dress or shorts and same with anything from VV. Jack Rogers also come in wedges if you're one of those who doesn't like to wear flats. I love wedges myself, but there's a certain charm of wearing Jack Rogers sandals that I love about them. They're fun, whimsical and I they're most definitely a style staple for any woman who wants to label herself as preppy. Have I made my case? Okay so now the outfit is complete. Dress or shorts/skirt and top and shoes. Now it's time to top it off with a Kentucky Derby staple -- a hat! I won't lie I was in J.Crew the other day trying on hats as if I had a horse in the race. Southern Living Magazine says [about hats], "Whether you’re in the infield or a box in Millionaire’s Row, hats are a must at the Derby. They can be simple or grandiose, custom-made or off the rack, just make sure to have one perched atop your head." Without a hat, you'll be the equivalent to underdressed at a black tie affair. I'm sure Vineyard Vines and Lilly have hats available in stores so you can do one stop shopping. But if not, like I mentioned, J.Crew was several great options for only about $34.50, if I remember correctly. If you buy a plain hat, you can wear it all summer so that would be a good move on your part! So with all of these tips, I hope I was a help in looking for your Kentucky Derby outfit. Whether you're going to a party at your country club or a friend's house, the actual Derby or just dressing up to watch from home, I hope you look fabulous. Have a wonderfully preppy day.Lilly, Vineyard Vines, and J.Crew... This is like my Christmas.
xx, ZM
IMAGES COURTESY OF PINTEREST

0 Response to ":: Off to the Races ::"
Post a Comment